DJ Tryouts are now closed. If you have any questions, please send a mail to email@example.com
Kitsune Kon is expanding, and this year our Amplifier (along with our new Friday event, details YTBD) is looking to be one of our most massive dance events yet! And we want awesome DJs like you to be a part of it! If you think you have the chops to wow the crowd and have a burning passion for great music mixed well, go over the submission guidelines below and send us a demo. We look forward to hearing what you’ve got, and possibly even working with you at Kitsune Kon 2015!
Submission mix guidelines:
- You will need to record a 30-60 minute ‘essential mix’ in the style(s) you want to play for Kitsune Kon and provide a link for us by February 1st, 2015. We accept links from Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Youtube and similar streaming sites, or file sharing sites such as Dropbox, ect.
- We are open to a wide range of genres/styles/BPMs, but consider the high-energy, geeky nature of your audience when submitting your mix.
- If you intend to play varying or multiple genres, provide only one mix that highlights both/all genres and how you transition between them.
- We will be choosing DJs specializing in a wide range of styles, and we are not looking for one straight genre throughout our entire show. Likewise, we will be formatting the DJ lineup in such a way as to increase the energy throughout each night. The slower styles will likely go first while the harder, faster genres will be set towards the end. The Dance Coordinator reserves the final say in all DJ line-up times and placement.
- Kitsune Kon will be hosting two dances, one on Friday and one on Saturday, and DJs will be placed in the line-up of one of the two dances. Kitsune will not require DJs to perform for both nights, though DJs may be asked to step in in the event of cancellations, emergencies, ect.
- Submissions will be chosen primarily on technical execution, general con crowd appeal, and also, creativity.
- Recordings must be of a LIVE-mixed set, with no post-alterations, wether done in a home, studio or actual venue.
- DJs will be expected to mix live at Kitsune Kon, and will not be allowed to play entirely pre-recorded sets or pre-arranged DAW timelines.
- DJs using ONLY Ableton Live or a DAW for live performance must be able to showcase their ability to mix/perform live with said programs.
- Two CDJ-2000Nexus and a DJM-(TBD) will be available in-house for use, but we can accommodate for some additional equipment depending on your needs. If you plan on using another DJ’s gear, you must work out those details with said DJ ahead of time.
- Controllers and Turntables and both acceptable, however these pieces of equipment must be provided by the DJ.
- DJs are advised to be prepared with their own gear and/or back-up plan, regardless if they intend to use in-house equipment.
Submissions must reflect a similar style/genre as you intend to play at Kitsune Kon. We understand that there can be changes in musical style/taste depending on the mood of the crowd and DJ, but if you perform a set that is drastically different from what you submit to us your set may be cut short.
Additional information/rules not in relation to the submission mix:
- Some benefits/compensations will be provided to guest DJs, and will be discussed further should a DJ be offered a time slot at our dance. At minimum, these will include a couple shared hotel rooms, free badge, and some payment/food compensation.
- DJs will be expected to meet with the Dance Coodinator or other Kitsune Staff prior to their performance to go over rules and other general guidelines.
- You may be expected to work alongside lighting/audio crew, stage crew, MC’s, and go-go dancers on stage. Photographers may also work in close proximity to you, and you must agree to allow Kitsune Kon to use your photo or likeness in any future promotions.
- There will be a designated MC, though DJ’s will be granted the opportunity to thank the crowd and say a few words after their sets.
- DJ’s who show up to the dance severely under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to perform. You are expected to be able to function, perform and be professional. Violation may result in confiscation of your badge and removal from the con.
- Any instructions from the Kitsune Kon tech staff, hotel staff, or dance crew must be followed explicitly and without hesitation.
Submission email should include:
- your name and DJ name/moniker
- a link to your mix (as described above)
- any previous DJing experience, especially related to Anime conventions
- any social media links, including links to your Mixcloud or Soundcloud, ect
- the gear you intend to use/bring
- your general location
- any special needs you may have for compensation/travel
- Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission deadline is February 1st, 2015
- We will email you a confirmation of your set submission as soon as we receive it, (usually within 48 hours). Do not send any follow-up inquiries about the status of your submission.
- We reserve the right to deny any submission for any reason.